Informatics, TU Vienna

PhD School F.A.Q.

This page provides answers to frequently asked question about the PhD School.

Which documents do I need for my application?

  • Identification document / passport
  • Academic Degrees
  • Summary of your diploma / master thesis
  • CV
  • Motivation letter
  • English Knowledge Certificates
  • Optional: Research proposal
  • 2 letters of recommendation (these need to be submitted by the referees)

For further details check the Admission section of this website.

Which English Language Certificates are accepted?

  • TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based, 217 computer-based or 81 internet-based
  • IELTS score 6.0 or higher
  • CAE score B or higher

These tests are not required of native English speakers, or if the primary laguage of instruction at the university attended was English.

I have not yet completed my degree, may I already apply?

Yes, if you expect to graduate by October 1 (of the year, when you plan to start your PhD studies), you can apply.

I am not a citizen of the EU, may I apply?

Yes, students for this international PhD School are recruited world-wide.

I am an international student, where can I get help with visas, housing, etc?

OeAD, the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research is Austria’s leading non-profit service in the field of international co-operation in education and research. They will gladly assist you in these matters.

Additional information is available in our Welcome Guide as well as on EURAXESS, an information portal for researchers in motion by the European Commission.

I have additional questions, whom may I contact?

Please contact the PhD School administration at